|(Picture credit and recipe from Movita Beaucoup)|
Original Beef Stew Recipe from Movita Beaucoup:
Slow Cooker Beef Stew – inspired by many -
- 2 lbs of stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped into large pieces
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- about 20 mini-potatoes, cut large ones in half, leave smallest ones as is (I like to use a mix of yellow, red and blue, no need to peel)
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes (I use plum tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups sodium reduced beef broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Dump the tomatoes into the slow cooker (juice and all). Crush them with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. Add the onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the vegetables and then add the beef and any accumulated drippings. Pour 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth over the beef and vegetables. Give the mixture a quick stir. Add the bay leaves.
Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours.
About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas (no need to defrost first), salt and pepper. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth, creating a smooth paste. Stir into the stew. Replace the slow cooker cover and cook until thickened (about 15-20 minutes).
Remove the bay leaves before serving.
My last minute recipe:
Less-than-healthy Beef Stew - inspired by necessity-
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into pieces about the size of your thumbnail (helps the little kids get it down easier)
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 red potatoes, not peeled, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Family size can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- (refill the can with beef or vegetable stock and pour into crock pot)
- 1 packet of original Ranch powder
Lightly brown beef in a little olive oil in a pan over the stove. Throw it into the crock pot. Throw everything else in to the crock pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours! Easy Peasy!