Friday, April 1, 2011

General Conference for Nursery Children (as well as your sometimes-sleepy-spouse!)

If you struggle as much as I do to hear anything that is said during General Conference, then this post is for you! I have a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old who follow me around like satellites and are in a state of constant communication (whether its gibberish or English). In the past I've tried to let them loose with their toys while I listen to our leaders speak, but alas...it never takes more than one talk before my kids need to tell on each other, or have some kind of emergency I need to help them with.

Well, this year I'm trying something new (and its not just for the kids). We are going to have Jelly Beans for Jesus Jars! I was just thinking how easily kids (and Kevin) are motivated by candy, and how they can easily pick out one word during a conference talk. So, I made these jars for each of us (minus Lily who would brake it in the first 5 minutes of her possession) to put a jelly bean in every time we hear our Savior mentioned during a talk! My hope is that it will help us to listen better, but also that it will help my kids realize the significant roll that the Savior plays in our every day lives.


All I did was take some mason jars, tape a computer printed picture of Jesus inside, and replace the lid with a tag that has our name on it. It took me about 5 minutes to do all three.


Here is the finished product. I think they're pretty cute and I know my family will love trying to get their jars filled.

When we're not trying to earn jelly beans, we will be occupied with conference packets that I printed off of these websites:

To get packets for all ages, go to:
http://www.sugardoodle.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7399

I used this packet for my 3 year old:
http://downloads.sugardoodle.net/NrsryApr2011Rvsd_030211.pdf

And yes, I printed one for Kevin and I as well:
http://theredheadedhostess.com/?p=1549

Thank you to all the wonderful people who make these packets available to us for FREE! Also, in case you were curious, the Church also puts out their own packets that can be found at:
http://lds.org/general-conference/children?lang=eng

Good luck with everything and have a blast listening to General Conference!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Naomi! I really needed one like the nursery one! You're the best! :) Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it worked for you Jamie! Brooklyn loved it! I think the puppets were the best part. :)

    ReplyDelete