Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Roasted Veggies!

So, you may have noticed a little lapse in posting since I got back from vacation. I can attribute that lapse to the fact that I have pretty much hated NOT being on vacation and have been wallowing in self pity for the last few weeks! On top of that, My sister Erin who does the Outdoor Adventure posts, has been in Russia for the past few weeks and hasn't been able to post either.

But enough with excuses! I am starting to see the wastefulness that self pity causes and am slowly dragging myself out of depression and back into reality. And luckily for YOU, part of this re-awakening has caused me to cook healthier foods, and thus, share the recipes on this blog! But don't worry... to all the sugarholics who occasionally drop by, the previously mentioned depression also caused me to bake a ridiculous amount of fattening foods that I will be sharing with you later on. Until then, here is a FANTASTICALLY easy and healthy recipe for you to enjoy:

Roasted Veggies


Ingredients:

4 small red potatoes, chopped
3 handfuls of baby carrots
2 chopped onions
3 handfuls of halved mushrooms
3 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
1-2 chopped zucchini
( You can really use just about any vegetables you have around. Other commonly used veggies are peppers, butternut squash, broccoli, red onions, and asparagus. Just use whatever it takes to cover the bottom of your pan!)

1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 tablespoon Thyme
2 tablespoons Rosemary
Salt and Pepper to taste
(Most recipes only call for oil, salt, and pepper. I personally just like the extra oomph that you get from the herbs and vinegar.)

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Chop your veggies into 1 inch cubes (roughly...meaning just chop it up super fast, however you feel. Just make sure its small enough to get soft in 40 minutes). Spread the veggies out onto a large baking sheet. Spread oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme across the top. Toss the veggies until everything is coated in oil. Place in the oven on middle rack and bake for 30-40 minutes (until your veggies are tender when poked with a fork), stirring every 10 minutes.

When baking is complete, remove the baking sheet from your oven and serve as is, or with feta cheese or ranch dressing on top (or whatever else floats your boat! That's just what my husband and kiddos like.)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this family favorite healthy recipe, and that you will keep checking back for the not so healthy foods I'll be posting later on!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! Get in my belly tasty veggies!!! Will definitely be trying this one soon! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete