Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Phineas and Ferb Challenge!

If you've spent any time surfing around the Disney Channel at all, then you've probably stumbled on the TV show called Phineas and Ferb. This just happens to be one of Kevin and my FAVORITE shows... and yes, we do watch it without our children!

Anyway, almost every episode starts out with Phineas and Ferb sitting under the tree in their backyard with their platypus, awaiting inspiration for the day. And in each episode, something sparks their imagination and leads them through a day long fantastical undertaking. The show is jam packed with exciting adventures, curiosity and science. You can see how clever and creative it is just by watching their theme song:



The point is, I was watching the show the other day and suddenly thought about my own children. Do I provide them with a creative outlet? Do they have imaginations like Phineas and Ferb? Can they be that clever and creative? I don't know! Because when they randomly have a spontaneous idea of something they want to do, (i.e. have a puppet show, build a princess castle, paint on boxes, or run a race around the complex) I usually say no because I don't think I have the time or the energy, OR I don't want them making a mess in my house.

This behavior has caused me to stifle my girls' imaginations, and NO mother wants to be responsible for that! So this week I decided to take part in the Phineas and Ferb Challenge. Basically that means the TV goes off all week and WHENEVER my children make a request to play something or do something with me, I will say YES!

Now of course, you have to exercise judgement and reason in a challenge like this. I'm not going to cancel nap time, bake every treat my kids ask me to make, or play the wiggle game in the car while I'm driving, but if they make a reasonable request that I can afford and accomplish safely, ITS ON!

And perhaps while I'm at it, I can inspire someone else to give it a try as well and we can all share a week long adventure with each other and our children! I will keep you updated on our impromptu play times and would love to hear from you as well. If you step out of your comfort zone this week to do something new with your kiddos, leave me a comment and let me know. I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment